Thursday, August 4, 2011

Robe + slippers: a great idea?

Picture a child's bathrobe: pink, soft, fluffy faux fur trim on the sleeves and collar.  Now pair that with some pink slippers
...and you have my latest idea.  What if the slippers were like pockets?  What would that look like?  Is it possible to sew a pair of slippers onto other fabric?  Would the finished product be just an embellished robe, or something else?

A woman with ADD and a new idea: a dangerous combination.  I am reading "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson, and came across a passage that I think applies to my creative process.

The main character, Lisbeth Salander, has a photographic memory, a quirky flair for computer hacking, and a penchant for doing recreational mathematics at an elevated level:
"She had spent several weeks in the Caribbean last winter working herself into a frenzy over Fermat's Last Theorem.  When she came back to Sweden... she had kept on playing with the equations... [But now]  she did not have the least interest in it.   Fermat's theorem no longer fascinated her.  That was ominous.  That was just the way she usually functioned.  She would be fascinated by a problem, but as soon as she had solved it, she lost interest.  That was how she felt about Fermat.  He was no longer a demon riding on her shoulder, demanding her attention and vexing her intellect.  It was an ordinary formula, some squiggles on a piece of paper, and she felt no desire at all to engage with it."

So often, when I get a creative idea, I spend so much mental energy figuring out how to make it work.  I dream about it at night.  I buy the materials to implement my idea-- but I often run out of steam long before the idea is put into finished form.

Robe and slippers?  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment