Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blue Ribbon @ the Fair!

My friend Dwynn spilled the beans in an email to me, but I went to the County Fair today (on the last day) and saw that I won a Blue Ribbon for my tote bag!  Category: any recycled article.

Also, since I didn't have any pictures of it from before, the queen-size quilt I entered in the Fair.
Largest quilt I have ever made (big difference for me between twin size and queen size).  Scrappy Christmas prints, made from fabric my sister-in-law gave me when she moved.  The pattern is called Circle of Friends from Miss Rosie's Quilt Co (a 2006 pattern); taught in a class at Something to Crow About, and the first time I used Triangle Paper to make half-square triangles.  At one point, the partially completed quilt top was hanging in my classroom, and I calculated 1,440 individual pieces.  That count was before the side borders, which are more half-square triangles.  A three-year labor of love, I gave this away as a Christmas present (to my dear sister-in-law).
Category: quilt, amateur pieced, machine professionally quilted (by Quiltmasters, in an adorable snowflake pattern).  There were at least ten quilts entered in this category.  Stiff competition - there are some great quilters in Lane County.  So, imagine my surprise that my quilt got an Honorable Mention ribbon.  I am quite pleased.  I think it's a darn pretty quilt.

And just like that, the Fair is over.  I am dreaming of next year already...  Creativity never sleeps.


No comments:

Post a Comment