Sunday, December 4, 2011

A snail's pace

It's a wonder I can get anything done.  Ever.  I must be the slowest person on the planet.

And honestly, I don't know what happens to the time.  Why does it take me *forever* to finish something?  Daily examples: taking a shower; washing the dinner dishes; vacuuming the rugs; making my lunch.

The latest how-can-it-take-so-darn-long?  Curtains.
Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, just simple pocket-rod curtains.  From a larger curtain purchased in the "as-is" section of Ikea.  Just remove the top portion, cut it in half horizontally, hem all the sides, and add a rod pocket to the 2 new pieces.  Voila!

Ok, six hours later... Voila!
I am so happy to be done.  But six hours ?!?!  I can't explain it.  (I had breakfast and lunch, did 3 loads of laundry, and idly watched a movie as I was sewing.)  But I was at the ironing board or sewing machine the whole day.  I could not speed up or take even the tiniest shortcut: had to pin every hem every two inches.  No one is going to look that closely at my stitching, or my hem accuracy.  Why do I do it?  Is this some classic ADD symptom? 

Definitely why I don't enjoy sewing on a deadline--most of the time I don't pay attention to how long things take me.  I just plod along at my pace and enjoy the journey.  After all, I genuinely *like* sewing.

Finished: the curtains are done in the guest room just in time for sweetie's mom to visit.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment