Sunday, March 24, 2013

Diluting my efforts

Spring break has started: yay!  Went to the library and checked out a few books for my leisure-time reading.


Well, here it is: the symptom of my troubles.  FOUR books (all non-fiction), representing things I want to work on over spring break.  (Note to self: spring break is only one week long.  Not enough time to save the world.)

1.  "Getting Organized in the Google Era" - clean out my email inboxes, get my new email account working, maybe even learn how to use all the bells and whistles on the laptop that I got for Christmas.

2.  "A Practical Wedding" and "A Legal Guide for Lesbian & Gay Couples" - Sweetie and I are planning our wedding, but also need to take care of some of the legal bits that aren't covered by our state, where a wedding for a lesbian couple is just a big party with no formal documentation.

3.  Suze Orman's "The Money Class" - yep, time to get my finances a bit more in order.

What I realized, as I waded through a few pages in a couple of the books, is that I can't make significant progress in any one of these areas of my life unless I settle down and focus.

Kinda like my master ToDo List over spring break.  It reads like the chapter list in a self-improvement series: finances, classroom, sewing, cleaning, decluttering, etc...  Gosh, why do I do this to myself?


Today's portion of the ToDo list: 45 minutes of decluttering, in 15-minute chunks.  That part is great.  What is bothersome is that the chunks are spread out around the house.  I have again diluted any effect I might be having.  I won't be able to see progress in any one area with only 15-minutes of effort.

Kinda like the books: I just need to pick one book, one area to focus my efforts.

Ah, focus.  Always the bug-a-boo for the ADD-afflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment