Monday, May 4, 2015

Clever Halter Apron

Cute & Clever!  That's what I present to you today: an apron made from a men's collared shirt.

The upper pocket area

When I saw this design (wish I had kept the name of the book I saw it in! So sorry for not being able to give credit), I knew I had to make it.  I am such a fan of the clever.  And the recycled/repurposed.


Pretty simple: cut the sleeves and upper back away from a basic men's shirt (this one from thrift store, naturally; but I did search carefully for the fabric and design that said "apron" to me); slice the back into 2 halves; hem all the edges nicely; make and attach waist ties (I made mine from the leftover shirt fabric).


My only tweak was to add a couple inverted box pleats to the back waist.  I had chosen an XL shirt, because I wanted the longer length.  This made it too big around for me, so I debated between gathers and pleats, deciding on the pleats because of the box pleat traditionally at the center back of men's shirts.

Done! 
Unless you think it needs lower patch pockets?  I have the extra fabric, but I am undecided...

1 comment:

  1. I can see me looking at men's shirts just a little bit differently for a while! That's a great idea and you can always us the rest of the shirt in your stash.

    ReplyDelete