Sunday, December 30, 2018

Xmas finish: stockings for my siblings


ONE of my 4 goals for December got checked off:


finished making three Christmas stockings, for me and both of my siblings.  


Made from my own pattern and technique, detailed with a tutorial here.  It had been so long since I sewed up the first of the 3 stockings that I actually referred back to my own tutorial.  Hooray for taking good notes!  (And posting them online where I can find them again.)

Interior: reproduction fabrics (left) vs. back of actual vintage quilt (right)

Raw materials?  One vintage 1930s quilt, well-loved and used by the whole family during our growing-up years; I was so surprised that Mom still had this among her possessions.  
 
Reverse sides
There was no salvaging this quilt.  There wasn't even enough "good" area to make a throw pillow.  So these Christmas stockings are the perfect choice:
  • They will be taken out and admired once a year
  • They will receive minimal handling
  • They might never get washed (have you ever washed a Christmas stocking?)
  • Many of my holiday decorations invite nostalgia and strong memories--these will fit right in 
 

Although I had set four December goals, these stockings were my must finish item.  So I'm linking up with One Monthly Goal.  Check out some other finishes there!



I like that writing down my goals helps me to remain focused--even when I take a detour mid-month.  I should do this more often...

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea for your stockings. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for hosting, month in and month out. So great to have a place to link up and share.

      Delete