For my 50th birthday last year, I wanted to challenge myself physically. I would say that was accomplished--in triplicate. As the next birthday approaches, here is a run-down of some of the highlights of my physical 50th year on the planet.
|Hoo-Doo trails & Snow-shoe shelter|
Even though I spent more than a decade in the U.S. Navy, I never was much into physical fitness, and wouldn't run any more than Uncle Sam made me. A comment from Sweetie got me started on the Couch to 5K running program in May of 2012. I would say that 2013 was my year to step into the title of Runner. (Really, who would have thunk it?)
|Finish line of Eugene 1/2 Marathon (looks empty, doesn't it?)|
- First 10K race for St. Patrick's Day.
- 1/2 Marathon in April (less than a year since starting running!)
- 4th of July 10K (a significant hill at the beginning)
- Second 1/2 Marathon in August
|Dorena: yummy view along the berm--after scaling the dam to get there|
- Dorena Dam 5K (what is it with these hills?)
- Jingle Bell run (took place on top of packed snow)
|Not a timed race: just darn fun|
- Ugly Sweater run in December
- First Run at midnight on New Year's Eve
HikingI live in Oregon, an area rich in natural beauty. I have hiked in the past, but this year saw an uptick in the number and difficulty of the hikes. Even tried "running" a bit on trails.
- Mt. Pisgah, twice
- Spencer's Butte (an unfortunate fall on the downhill run cracked a rib; ouch)
- Brice Creek
- Mt. June, tallest point in Lane County
- Backpacking in the Fall Creek area (including a dry overnight in a cave, listening to it pour outside)
- Multnomah Falls (to the top!)
- Badger Mountain, Washington
|Brice Creek Trail: Trestle Falls, which you can walk behind|
CrazinessI found myself saying, "YES" to some physical adventures this year that made me wonder who exactly was talking for me. Prime example: leaving a toasty bed at 8:00 on Christmas morning to run to the gourmet coffee shop, get some warm brew, and walk back to the house before the kids showed up at 10:00 to open presents.
|Mom & Son, just before his big adventure|
|Team Rainbow: before and after|
Snow-shoe trek around town after the worst snowstorm in 20 years. So funny to be doing this on city streets. And fortunately, my snow-shoe skills had been honed earlier in the year, right?