Sunday, September 25, 2011

The move is on

The landlord gave us 30 days' notice: we must move.  One of my roommates is super-organized (the other one struggles with similar ADD/OCD issues like I do).  So, here are a few things I am learning about moving (a panic-inducing activity for me) from an organized pro:

Make plans.  First thing that happened was the 30 days were marked on all the calendars in the house, countdown style.  Each day is being crossed off as it is completed, and we have a distinct reminder that the move is happening in less than 3 weeks (20 more days, to be precise).

Don't wait.  By the end of the first day, we had rented a storage unit, purchased a lock, packing tape and bubble wrap, and investigated a dozen options for a place to move to.  Ten days into the 30-day window, we have taken all the stuff from the garage to the storage unit.  We have babysitters for our plants (including the tomato plants from the deck), and have sold a couple furniture items on Craigslist.

Goodwill is your friend; visit the drop-off window often.  No matter how much decluttering I think I have done, I am still holding onto things that I am not willing to pay to store or pay someone to move for me.  Moving is a wake-up for a person like me: get rid of it!

Do a little bit every day.  This is a life-lesson for me.  I can do anything for 15 minutes (thank you, Flylady!)  I can pack a box every day.  There are small steps that add up to big results: take down and wash the curtains from one room; tomorrow, spackle over the holes where the curtain hardware used to be.  It's starting to look a bit bare around the house, but we still have much to do.



How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment