Monday, January 20, 2014

Relaxing Robin: new beginnings

Sweet blogger Barbara over at Cat Patches made my ears prick up with a mention of a Relaxing Robin--like a round robin that stays at your own house.

Gawd almighty, I would love to jump in on this one--I have just the orphan block in mind--but I'm timid.  Why timid?  I'm already afraid I have bit off more than I can possibly chew right now, and it's only the middle of January!  What happened to the New Year's blank slate of use-it-up finish-it-off and slash-the-stash?

Project idea: flannel from one crazy quilt block, started by the youngest child. 

 

Found this bundle in the December Operation Clean Sweep, and decided to keep it and finish it up myself.  I have always wanted to make a flannel quilt, been saving scraps and everything.  I just didn't put it on my list of UFOs that I wanted to work on this year... 

Only problem is, once I opened the bundle, I was faced with the fact that the orphan block that it contained is incomplete!

Not much to go on here...

Scrap the plans?  Nope. I'm just a little bit behind everyone else.  But, since the January "assignment" is to choose your orphan block and put a contrasting/plain border around it, I think I can still catch up.

Here are the "rules", from Robin's original post...

1. choose a block from your UFO pile to work with. If you wanted to, you could make the center larger by sewing some together, two, three, four etc. have fun! if you sewed 3 for example runner style then you could make the finished quilt rectangular instead of square.

2. add a small border. simple. could be a plain border, pieced, appliqued etc but make it small. try and use a color not used in your block for added fun later on

3. Add applique. could be to the small border, could be to the inner block, or could be an applique border itself. again, try out options and have fun

4. add some triangles. this could be flying geese, pinwheels, etc. again, have fun with this. there are many blocks and ideas with triangles.

5. using some of the fabric in the first border make another border of your choice

6. make a border that has squares in it; 4 patch, checkerboards etc would be welcome here. again have fun

7. finish as you wish. this can mean another border or if you think you are done, quilt and bind up the baby.

see? simple. and you know what? if you don't want to do triangle border as step 4 switch it with another round. we don't care.



I've got ideas for the applique!  But first, gotta finish the crazy-quilt orphan...  I think there's room if you wanna try and join in on this.

1 comment: