Saturday, June 25, 2016

Guild Block + new technique

Haven't been to quilt guild since April.  And, to be honest, I'm not really attending this month either; but I am stopping by to leave my block.  Which I just finished today.


This block is called Wild Waves.  The instructions can be found at Quilter's Cache.  The block finishes at 12" and is made up of sixteen identical 3" blocks.

So, since each square within the block is the same, why not use speed piecing techniques?  Not something I have tried before, but I love learning new things!  Here's an overview of the technique.  More details, including cutting information, available at the Quilter's Cache link.


Put one square of the black and one square of the white right sides together.  Draw in both diagonal lines.  (I secure everything with pins; I know some people don't.)



Stitch 1/4" from one of the diagonal lines--just to the place where the drawn lines cross.  Then pivot and stitch on the drawn line until you are 1/4" away on the other side.


Pivot again and continue stitching to the opposite corner.



Use the same stitch-pivot-stitch along the other diagonal.

Cut the black/white block apart along the drawn lines.


This creates four identical units; each is a two-tone HST.  Press each seam toward the black portion.

Two of these units will combine with one medium-value b/w square to make two finished blocks.


The basic building block.




I kinda see a curling ribbon effect in this block.  Wonder if a single row from the block would make a good border or sashing...

My good deed for the week.  What have you been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment