Sunday, June 12, 2016

Challenge block 2016

I like a challenge.  I love learning new things.
And so it is that I participated in the Block Challenge at a recent quilting retreat.  The challenge this time was: make a 12" finished block, using any technique, on the theme of fishing or the outdoors.

What would YOU make under those constraints?

I bought some cute fishy fabric at New Pieces, and attempted a type of block I had never tried before: a wonky churn dash.  I consulted some online tutorials (primarily here and here), then went ahead and did things my own way.

I drew out a full-size pattern.  Made my own templates from this pattern.  I ended up using the focal fish fabric for the background, and a white-on-white for the churn dash bits.  Seemed like a different fabric placement than I had seen before, but I really wanted the fish to show up... they are larger in scale.


Made use of a new-to-me notion while making this block: Alpha-bitties, by It's Sew Emma.

I had thought these were pin-able when I ordered them; but using my Clover Wonder Clips (love them!), I ended up clipping the appropriate letter (from my self-drafted pattern) to each cut piece of fabric as I constructed the block.  Worked great!




The block turned out stunning.  I may have to make more of these.  And that is one reason for participating in Block Challenge: to test out a particular block or technique.  (Made my first house block, my first reverse applique block, and my first snail trail block this way.)


And then, because I had more fish fabric, I went ahead and made a second block.  Just a little rail fence, but I like how that one turned out, too.


Are there any blocks on your Challenge list?  What's stopping you from making one?

No comments:

Post a Comment