Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I'm too OLD for all this NEW efficiency

Starting to feel old: the number of apps and software efficiency tools I want to learn is growing... at the same time my patience with learning new technology gadgets is growing thin.

Weren't we promised a world where technology would make our lives simpler?  It seems, lately, that all the digital things that will make my life easier involve me learning a new widget. I mean app. Or software. Or some such.

What follows is a list of the software/apps I am currently struggling to learn.  (Keeping in mind that I generally love learning new things...)
BOM block drafted in EQ8

EQ8 - The pinnacle of quilt design software. Finally upgraded from EQ6 (thanks for the birthday $$ Dad!)  I know more than I think I do, but there's a learning curve nevertheless.  My heart's desire is to be able to easily upload images of my fabric stash, so that my quilt designing is taken to the next level.

AirTable - I gave up on Trello for project management. I have high hopes for AirTable. I really do want to be an organized human when I grow up.

SquareSpace - I want to migrate from Blogger to my own website one day.  Students from previous sewing and quilting classes have asked where I am teaching next.  Prospective quilt shops and guilds would like to know what I teach and when I might have openings in my schedule.  And maybe I have a couple patterns to sell...someday.  Meanwhile, I am fiddling with my employer's SquareSpace website, and feeling entirely inadequate to the task.  (They should never have let me into the deep end of the pool with their website: people can see it.)

Canva edit of someone else's design
Canva - Free web-based graphic design! What could be more lovely?  Umm... So far, I've Real Estate Listing into a Come See Our Booth flyer.  But there's So. Much. More. I want to do here.  (And, being American, I want to do it right now. All of it.)
managed to tweak someone else's

QuickBooks - as a proud member of the gig economy, I need professional handholding to keep my micro-biz finances in order.  Paid my subscription $$, can't it just do all the work for me?

BoxStorm - implementing an inventory system at work.  Inventory is no joke, y'all.  Oh, and this software supposedly will connect to QuickBooks (if only I knew how to find the magic portal).



[Unnamed photo-editing program]  I have used Picasa for my photo-edits for over a decade.  And I like it.  I understand it, it works for me.  So, of course, Google has dropped it from their suite of offerings.  I am still holding on; I don't need to share my pix online in albums, or order prints from within my photo editor.  I just want to mitigate my pretty-poor photography skills with easy edits. I did download GIMP to give it a try, but I'm not there yet.


Stuck in the past, I am.




No comments:

Post a Comment