Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Stash Organization

2016!!  My sister gave me the idea to reorganize my fabric stash: by type, instead of by location.  Now, this did not entail any actual moving of fabric; I simply changed the way I catalog my collection.

sample fabric swatch entry: I have used some of this piece!

As detailed in 2012, I keep my stash in Xerox boxes, labeled with names like "green star".  The key to what's in each box resides in a 3-ring binder which contains swatches of each fabric, along with information (definitely size/yardage; maybe also fiber content, when & where purchased, or other).

"green star" everything from chiffon to canvas, wool & rayon...

Before: the book was grouped box by box.  Everything in the Green Star box was on the same couple pages in the book, regardless of the type or color of fabric within.  And since the boxes had been filled rather haphazardly, there was really no rhyme or reason to such a catalog, either.

Look! cream-based quilting cottons
 After:  the book is arranged by fabric type, and roughly by color.  Finally!  All my quilting cottons are on the same four pages--rather than scattered throughout the book.


 jersey knits in white/cream
I can more easily see what I've got this way.  I mean, in a way that makes sense to me.

For example, I have waaay more knits than I thought I did.  (Hmm, better get to some garment sewing in 2016.)  Within those delightful stretchy folds, there are 3 knits that are white or cream

Really, I had no idea.


So... off to a good start in 2016.  An organized stash is one that might just get sewed up.

How about you? Any fabrics in your stash you might have forgotten about?  Does having things organized help you do more sewing?






No comments:

Post a Comment