Thursday, August 1, 2013

Buck-a-block July pattern

Well, another month has come and gone, another Buck-a-block pattern graces my sewing room, and I am now officially behind.

July pattern is "Wild Goose Chase"  from Judy Hopkins' book 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks (That Patchwork Place).  I have always loved flying geese, and this arrangement of them flying into the opposite corners is particularly pleasing to my geometry-teacher sensibilities. 



Again, this month's fabric doesn't have enough contrast between the medium and dark hues. I may have to be a rebel and substitute a fabric from my stash (ooh--fabric auditions! My favorite part!)

Also, I took a summer vacation to the east coast and was totally enamored of the dragonflies that were omnipresent. (Do we not have dragonflies in Oregon? How have I not noticed this?) So, to commemorate my summer travels, I was planning to make a paper-pieced dragonfly. Do you suppose it would look ok as the center of this block?  (Or would it be too much? I have a tendency to over-complicate things. Always.)


The shop sample shows this month's suggested border. Kinda cute.

I will be around for August's buck-a-block date, so I have incentive to complete this block in the next 2 weeks. (Note that I am not required to complete all my unfinished blocks by that date--just this one. Good thing: 4 unfinished/unstarted blocks in 2 weeks might be too much pressure for my lazy summer sensibilities.)

All right, time to go find subtle fabric and get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment